Thursday 21 October 2010

Evaluation

For this task I had to create a front cover of a college magazine using my own medium close up photograph and also create a draft contents page. First I researched other college magazines to see what was conventional in them. I looked at two different ones and analysed them (look at magazine research post). I chose 'Wyke' as my masthead however these were other ideas;


  • @Wyke
  • College Mate
  • Wyke Days 
I didn't choose 'College Mate' or 'Wyke Days' because I think they would have been too long for a masthead. The reason I chose 'Wyke' because its simple and everyone will know its for that college. I chose the text to be in black so it stands out. I also looked at different fonts as I couldn't decide which one to use. Ones which I was going to use were;


  • Arial
  • Stencil STD
  • Rosewood Std Regular
I didn't use Arial because it would have been too boring and not attractive. I didn't use Rosewood Std Regular because its hard to see what it says. The reason I chose the font I did was because it looked modern and bold which made it stand out. I created a header for the top and bottom of the page and made it a light purple. This was to represent the colour of Wyke's actual sign colour. I chose to take a photograph of just one student as I didn't want the page have too much on. The student has a bag and suitable clothing to show he is a student. Having a student on the front cover is conventional for a college/school magazine. I chose the background white as it connotates peace, calmness and freedom so this could represent the type of college Wyke is and also the student is wearing a white tshirt to show this aswell. I put the college website at the bottom in a dark purple to keep with a theme. I positioned the text like I did so it looked different and grab people's attention. The magazine is free so students will want to read it. It's conventional to include an issue number so I included one onto my front cover. The target audience is for both genders and for students aged 16-18(look at post on target audience). To improve my cover I could make the photograph lighter so you could see the students face more clearer as it is quite dark. For my planning I created IT drafts of the layout of what my front cover and draft contents would look like and wrote what and why I would do it in that way. I also took photos of a student where he had different poses. For example work in his hand or him posing for the camera. This was to give me an idea and a guide to what my final piece would be like.


For the contents page I tried to keep the same colour theme by using the same light purple and black to show that it comes from the same magazine. I did a different font as I couldn't decide which one to use but if I did it again I would make sure it's the same as the front cover so you can tell it's the same magazine. The layout of the contents is simple so it is easy to read. I have included one photograph to keep the magazine interesting. I have used a larger number as this shows that this is a feature story and students should read it. The photograph dennotates students are working and showing the readers that they have settled in Wyke, this connotates that the picture is representing the heading 'A new start to Wyke' as they are showing that there new start to Wyke is a good one. I looked at college magazines contents pages to see what was conventional. Some of the contents is what is on the front of the magazine which is conventional to do for a college magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment